stat counter

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sunday Offering #21: Manataka Celebration


MANATAKA CELEBRATION




Verna Lee Hinegardner


Poet Laureate of Arkansas


I think that in a former life


this Indian, young and sweet


had to learn the agonies


that come with harsh defeat.


I think I walked the torture trail


while sharp rocks tore my feet;


I think I found boiled rabbit bones


and muscadines to eat.




Remember Manataka, Place of Peace,


with weapons laid aside, how war can cease?




I heard about The Gathering


right here in my home town


and vowed I would attend it all


until the moon went down.


I visited the Longhouse and laid some wampum down


for tickets to attend programs;


then I walked around.




Drink Manataka water to regain


good health; take thermal baths for pain.




Precious children, Sweet Magnolias,


dressed in festive outfits share


hymns they learned back home at Mission.


sang about God's loving care


sang in native tongue and English


sang their hearts out, unaware


the audience tossed dollars in.


they closed with the "Lord's Prayer.




"Manataka, land of apple blossoms,


pine,mockingbirds and loving words,


you are mine.




Storyteller, Gayle Ross, Cherokee,


told the story of creation,


how there once was total darkness


no light to see the sun


how they called a council meeting


and solve the situation.


how animals, by vote, made this


a "half dark, half light" nation.


Many hints we learned in tribes can still


solve world problems yet today - and will.




Suddenly the dancing started.


dancers slow as snail's pace


fancy Dancers fast as lighting


twirling, whirling, danced with grace


as Bill Miller shared his hit songs while


a Ghost Dance etched his face.


tribes arrived from Arizona,


Canada and everyplace!




They recalled ancestral stories;


they recount hardships, glories.




Standing Bear in bear attire told how


tribes could visit without fear,


how warriors from all nations


smoked, together, peace pipes here


vowed Manataka must be scared


for all tribes who traveled near


pledged each trail to Manataka


would hold our spirits dear.




Manataka, Place of Peace, hold this day;


may we always, for forever, share The Way.




Yes, I'm sure I once was Indian.


for blood beating in my heart


at this Great Full Circle Meeting


tells me we must never part


from traditions of our fathers


or tom-tom tales that start


when tomahawks and hatchets


show our heartache is art.




Come to Manataka; let your spirit fly;


Indians call it "Place of Peace." So do I.

No comments: